Thread: A/c Mod
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Bob86ZZ4

AAaaaaahhhhhhh,,, now I'm caught up. I wonder if it would be easier to get to the main circuit panel and find the breaker that powers that garage a/c unit. Then, you can take the wiring that runs from that breaker and install your wiring there. I'm pretty sure the roof airs are 120 volt. So, the breaker should be a single pole 20 amp I'm guessing (I'll check mine tonight). The hot wire coming from the breaker what about installing a single pole double throw switch here? Then by throwing the switch one way it will connect the hot wire to your circuit panel breaker. Center up the switch and nothing. Throw it the other way and it will connect the a/c hot wire to your new incoming hot wire. Hard wire a male weatherproof recepticle on the outside of the coach, or in a storage bay? Then you just run a heavy duty extension cord from a shore power recepticle to that new male plug. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you need to also isolate the grounds and neutrals. Might need to install another double throw single pole switch to do that? Or could you use a double pole double throw and use it for both the neutrals and hots? Wears RadD when we need him? I'm still liking my idea of doing it near the circuit panel rather than trying to tie in back near the a/c tho. Grainger has all kinds of heavy duty switches and stuff. Come on RanD, help me out here.