View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Radman

This was an interesting find last week and maybe relative to GEOs post about grounds...but we will see.

First the set up.
I have a 2001 KW T-2000 N14 Auto shifter built our as a garage coach. A few months ago on long trip to TX I got a yellow check engine light (CEL). It came on after a long-haul up a mild hill when I stopped to use coach facilities. I came back to the drivers seat and the CEL was on. I got back on the road and it cleared in a a few moments. The pattern continued and I called into speak with my mechanic. He didn't seem too worried about it so neither was I.

I had the truck in for service last week and there were "no stored codes" in the ECU. He couldn't make the CEL come on with the truck idling over the next several days. He doesn't like to drive the beast so I headed over to the shop to take a little ride and "bingo" CEL came on with computer plugged in and still no code.

Apparently, the only fault that turns on the CEL but doesn't throw a code into memory are ECU ground issues. Sure enough the fuse that was identified as the ground filter on the ECU was blown. This is a 10amp fuse that has its own water tight holder at the base of the ECU on the N14. This makes no sense to me what so ever - a grounded-fused negative....?

Has anybody ever heard of this... and if so, please enlighten me as to how this works.
We have cleaned and tightened all grounds and load tested batteries but we have no leads left.

What do you think?

Rad