View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
geofkaye

....they are made to do city delivery's and not much more...suspension is poor at best-needs to be upgraded either way.....I'd suggest new springs and shocks before anything else....only advantage is that the body is re-usable and made to almost aircraft specs in the past-[who knows today].....UPS has a rebuild facility in the south somewhere....they also use a lot of fiberglass parts now as well as sheet plastic fiber roofing....UPS is the leader in that product area....I'd contact them for specs before you start the project.....might save you some grief-and $$$... I have seen a few over the years...underpowered and ugly but for the DYI'er they will work....most are re-powered with diesel or propane around here all are automatics and slugs....heater is a joke and A/C is non existent....we used to call them "portable fishing cabins" and "hunting lodges on wheels" as most were on the river bank or in a private parks.....Matt Gray[he was a black cop with the county] had one and he had about $50k in it over 15 years....went up in flames b/c of electrical overload [yeah, sure Matt!]....had to fight the ins. co. for a year to get a check.....and the "fight" is getting more prevalent in this economy....If you have a loss expect to have to go to court.....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote