Thread: cummins vs cat
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
cumminspuller

Cumminscowboy........The cummins B series engines that are in the dodges in my opinion are and excellent engine. Now depending on the year will determine if it is electronic or not. The 8.3 Cummins is the same way. When cummins went from the 12 valve to the 24 valve in 98.5 is when the switch to the elctronics occured as well as the jump from 12 valves to 24. The same happened with the 8.3. It went from the 8.3C to the 8.3ISC(the electronic version.) The ISC engine has the CAPS fuel system. Regarded as not all that good. Both the 5.9 and the 8.3 when they went to the elctronic vesrions had troubles with the injection pump. But the previous versions or mechanical versions, pre-1998.5 had the Bosch P7100 injection pumps regarded as bullet proof.

I am in the same boat you are. I have found an FL-50 with the older non-electronic 8.3C Cummins in it with only 250,000 miles. The truck is, for a lack or a better word, AWESOME. And finding an FL-50 with that big of engine is pretty rare. Now the smaller cummins normally found in the dodges are actully run in some 69,000LB GVW trucks. What does that tell us? The dodge is grossly over powered with that little cummins in it. There are several or dozens of those little 5.9 6BT engines that have reached the million mile mark. With no overhaul. They are a dry sleeved engine, but if taken care of properly they will take you where ever you want to go.

Just my $.02

Jason
cumminspuller is offline   Reply With Quote