View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #14
Doc Weaver

Now that's the trick: knowing the rules.

Blizz is right on the ambulance chasing lawyers. I've had my share of lawyers, insurance, people that can't drive, and government officials that don't know the law. This is why I want a bumper sticker that says "If you have FARMERS insurance stay 200yards away".

After meeting with local sheriff, BMV, ODOT, etc., I received completely different answers. It's hard to follow the rules when nobody knows the exact rules. Anyone who has dealt with DOT knows the rules can change with the officer's attitude. This is why I decided to call the Ohio Clerk of Courts to get an authoritative answer. I carry her paperwork with me in the truck AT ALL TIMES. Different states will have different rules. Check it out thoroughly!

Blizz, I definitely appreciate your opinion. Suffice it to say that I have taken care of myself and my business. I have three attorneys, two insurance companies, and married an accountant. Anything I don't know for a fact, I let them take care of it. AS far as the ownership of vehicles, I personally own the truck and can deduct repairs, but not depreciation. After that, I would have to ask my wife.

Wadesgames, If you have logos and such on the trailer, you may very well have to do the commercial truck thing. Good luck on your journey for information. If it was anything like mine, you'll need some patience. I think it took months for get a straight answer.

Doc Weaver