View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
AustinPSD

I've been iterating over the design of something like this based on use of a Fontaine Infinity TSX drop-deck flatbed as the base.

The TSX is manufactured for hauling conex containers, and has the conex twist-locks fabricated in such that two 20-foot or a single 40-foot container lands correctly on the attachment points.

Along the way, a couple of thoughts have occurred as the design has evolved. In the most recent iteration, I have been thinking about the use of the space between the trailer deck and fifth-wheel deck as infrastructure/storage space, similar to the way space is used in a standard coach for storage compartments, tankage, mechanical, etc.

This lead to thinking about either custom-framing (aluminum square tubing) my own ISO-based frame duplicating the dimensions of the ISO Conex container frame, or using only the steel frame from commercially available containers. I'm currently leaning toward the latter, and have researched the modification of Conex containers pretty thoroughly so I'm comfortable with the idea.

I would be inclined to cut down two containers to a height that would allow the container top to match the fifth-wheel deck height. These would form the base/infrastructure/storage layer. The living/working quarter layer would be composed of two twenty-foot containers and one ten-foot module, providing the main shell for the unit.

Here's a crude photoshop image of what I'm currently visualizing:

The appeal of using this approach is multiple - I like the idea of using a commercially available platform that can be repurposed (i.e resold or used as a flatbed hauler), it will already have a VIN and necessary certification, the cost is reasonable ($15K or so for a used trailer), and the modularity of the Conex. These have been used in a variety of ways as portable housing and offices by both commercial and military organizations, and there are hundreds of parts, options and lots of support for using them as other than cargo containers. Given the current economic downturn, there is a glut of used containers on the market as well, reducing their cost.

I still have considerable work to do before I call the design complete, but the more I've worked it, the more satisfied I am that it is viable. My current cost estimate for the HDT and completed rig is around $125K based on used components.
AustinPSD is offline   Reply With Quote