View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
geofkaye

....OK-I'm back...that was a "quick admit"-even for me at this time of the evening[no nap today!].....anyway....the issue is two fold here with insulation of an RV...one is transmission of H/C and the other is air moving through the insulation and taking the heated/cooled air and mixing it with exterior air which will make any insulation less effective rather quickly...also the issue of moisture-which in relation to many insulation types makes them part of the problem and not the solution....have you ever looked at a pink insulation batt full of water?....it ain't pretty-as your insulation is shot and all you H/C is going elsewhere-additional moisture is rotting your RV and the mold is making your living space stink and/or worse...I don't want to be a fear monger here-but that stuff can shorten you life and dying that way is a b-atch....drowning in your own mucus....not the way I want to go...[should I have a choice!] anyway.....the way to avoid liquid condensation in your insulation is to keep if from getting there in the first place-cheapest way is to enclose it in a plastic bag-seal it and then install it in the cavity....cheap easy and a 1000 sq ft of plastic is about $30.oo at Home Depot....use glue and/or tape to seal it and keep it in place in the cavity[I have done this and it works well on previous installations]make sure the bag is sealed well with the tape......I did use a sealing iron/gizzmo that was supplied by a moving company for a seal like a plastic food bag and it did work but it was a PIA cuz I wasn't used to using the dam thing and made mass mistakes and had a lot of waste.....second easiest way will be in the next post....I need a drink of water-and a small bowl of popcorn....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote