View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Ran D. St. Clair

I wanted to ask the group how propane is usually plumbed inside an RV?

My rough plan is to use threaded steel galvanized water pipe under the truck frame with risers through the floor where needed. I assume that if I strap it down really well it will be very strong and leak free for the life of the vehicle, but I am not sure what to do at the ends where it attaches to the individual appliances.

I assume the usual accordion style copper tubing is not suitable. I am guessing it would not stand up to the vibration, and would eventually work harden and crack.

I suppose I could do it the old fashioned way with straight soft copper tubing with the ends flared etc. but I would still have concerns about it work hardening and cracking over time. It is stiffer though, so at least it wouldn't be so likely to resonate mechanically as it bounces down the road.

I have done outdoor BBQ's with the rubber tubing and it seems fine for that purpose. It can easily hold the pressure which is only about 12" of water, and it seems to hold up to the elements, so I imagine it would last many years in a protected indoor environment. The problem I see is that it is not intended to take any heat at all, and if there ever was a fire it would burn through and vent propane into the fire. I suppose I could wrap the rubber tubing with aluminum foil tape or even insulated foil tape to help protect it...

I see various water applications like toilet feeder lines and washing machine lines where they have steel braided tubing. I am not sure if I could easily find something like that with the necessary fittings.

So what is standard practice in the RV world for the end point connections on propane lines?
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote