View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
BravestDog

This guy seems real happy with how his conversion was built by Transport Designs. He compares it to a Renegade.

"As You can see, the Peterbilt I am selling is not just another run of the mill Renegade on a Freightliner chasis. Look at the build here and then look at mine-(red). My stainless is thicker, and the build-both inside and out, is more solid. My Pete is like a mini-custom moter coach on the inside, a better upgrade from the camper style that Renegade builds. Mine has tinted double pane windows, sound insulation and solid wood floors as well as oak throughout."

Then he says his Pete is superior to a Freightliner:

"Even if the Renegade build was great-which it is not because it is inferior to my build, the chassis is Freightliner-(junk). Believe me, I have been a professional truck driver for over 25 years, and after about 100,000 mile, which isn't much, the doors do not close tight, the windows leak air- and they become smelly and noisey. Freighliners are not built like Kenworths or Peterbilts-ask any truck driver. And when you add a custom RV to the frame, it creeks and squeeks. My Peterbilt is built with exceptional build-at the factory in a hand made fashion."

Does this statement sound accurate about the Freightliner compared to a Pete?

Here's the ebay link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1309

Some questions for anyone:

1. What is a heat transfer roof? What does he mean by this: "Plus my roof is a cool heat transfer- not absorbing, sloped roof."

2. The add says sleeps 4. Would that be 2 above, one above the refigerator, one above the diner and one on the diner?

3. I wonder how the ventilation is without the generator running fans blowing in the bunks with a full house of guests...? Looks like there are only 2 windows on the side at the rear sleeping level so whomever is in the foward upper bunk is without windows/ventilation?

3a. According to the pictures, it looks like the rear upper bunk goes all the way to the back wall. There are no windows in the bathroom, correct? Is that a bad idea? Should bathrooms always have a window of some kind?

4. I wonder how much shoulder room there is in the overhead bunks? An efficient use of space for sleeping.

5. Wonder why he did not build a cabover bunk?

6. Is this 5th wheel hitch legal in CA and what kind of trailer is a average licensed driver allow to pull, weight, length...?

7. He also says he is starting the auction at $79.9k, less than half of the cost of the truck and conversion. Would anyone like to estimate the cost or the truck and the cost of the conversion?

8. Why would you build the lower exterior compartment doors with polished metal rather than painted? Which do you like or think looks better?

9. Do you think a window over the kitchen counter would be helpful for light, ventilation, view...? Or would it get filled with food debris and turn into a maintenance mess?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote