View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
BravestDog

Bob

Welcome to California.

Let's just say you decide to visit with your rig and your standard drivers license.

And let's just say that your rig is longer than what is allowed in CA for your license rating.

And let's just say that you decide to stay for longer than 30 days or maybe engage in some part time work (maybe you need the money...)

I believe the way the Law works is that if you are here for an extended period of time (7-30 days, not sure) or if you begin working, you now qualified yourself as a resident and now CA Law applies.

I don't know the details of this, but Law Enforcement cited a friend of mine because he told them he had been here to work but lived in Nevada. He had a small car with Nevade plates, a Nevada Drivers License and Nevada insurance and gave a Nevada address for his residence.

I believe the Judge dropped it, but he had to appear in the court within 21 days which cost him a day of work. You are considered guilty if you fail to appear. Sending a letter in, may dismiss your ticket, but who know's. You're not there to argue your point and the local Judges don't like for you to argue, let alone state your defense, so good luck if you are not there to argue your defense.

In CA, it's not about safety, it's about income for the City, County and State. The idea is to have Law Enforcement write tickets that have the highest dollar value and don't require an appearance by the Officer. Those tickets provide the highest income to the City, County, State. In the meantime, people are being shot, stabbed, robbed, assaulted...homes and property burglarized, vandalized because the Police are in the courtroom trying to defend the reason they wrote you a ticket and not on the street catching the criminals.

CA is a nice state, nice weather...but things are screwed up here. Does anyone else want to give some examples...?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote