View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
Ran D. St. Clair

Dodger,

For what it's worth, I have the 90A Iota converter. I would say you want the largest that you are willing to spend money on. That way you won't have to run your generator any longer than necessary. Just make sure the converter input doesn't exceed your generator output, and in your case you probably need excess generator output capacity for whatever other AC loads you might apply. You can't really charge the batteries too rapidly. The 3 or 4 stage circuitry in the converter will limit the current appropriately. In the bulk charging phase, when the battery is flat to about 80% charged, the current will either be limited by the converter current (90A in my case) or whatever the battery will take at the specified bulk charge voltage. The batteries will probably take far more than the charger current limit, so that will prevail. As the batteries near full charge the current will drop off, so the current limit on the charger no longer matters.

Some of the IOTA converters require a separate module to be 3 or 4 stage battery chargers. Without the module they are a single stage battery charger. Depending on your situation that might be just fine. It is in my case.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote