Thread: It lives!
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #13
Bob86ZZ4

Hay Dodger, I've heard of using water to cool the bits. I've never tried it tho. I usually use oil but it sure makes a mess.

I stole this from Escapees (thought it might be useful since this person is in TN also):

I work in Nashville near the state DOT offices so I went down there a couple times and talked to them before I bought my T2. I found out that it was very easy to re-title it as a motor home and they have never asked to see it. They don't give out a packet of instructions, but verbally they said that "as long as I am not using for ANY commercial use that I could re-title it".

The department manager said they have many things re-titled as MH's - vans and other things, etc.

My insurer (Progressive) was much more insistent that I meet several things, and they do not consider it a MH, but a HD truck. To make it a MH in their eyes they say it has to have "a full bathroom, including shower, not just a porta-potty in a cabinet, plus the normal, heat, air, 110 volt power, bed, etc. They also have never asked for photos, or inspection.

Mine still has the tags that give the class 8 capacities, but after singling I will be making a reconstructed tag with the new vehicle weights - it needs to be done before I get that little detail attended to. After learning the facts from T-DOT I got my title in my local county (they didn't know anything about all this and had to call Nashville office for instructions).

I got my insurance over the phone and Internet and off I went to Knoxville to drive my used T2 home. But I selected New Years day for driving so the State Weigh Stations were closed so I didn't have to do a long explanation about glad hands, commercial hitch, my not having anything but a normal drivers license - oh yea - I have a motorcycle endorsement.

I think the plates are just under $25 for the state, plus county fees that bring it up to about $75 a year and I've had it tagged for a couple years.

Here's the entire topic but it's got tons of stuff: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=62721