Thread: Quiet Here
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
GENECARP

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob86ZZ4:
Wow, that is close. Neutral and no parking brake. If you keep it in Park that will put lots of wear and tear on the parking pin in the transmission (I'm guessing the Smart is a auto trans). The rocking back and forth will be hard on that. The parking brake will also be terrorized by the constant to and fro causing the parts to wear out or bend. Geof, the chain around the axle won't help much in such tight quarters. The car has to get through the bathroom anyways before making it to the living room. Wouldn't worry about that too much. What about can you get some diamond plate wheel chocks made for the front tires to rest against? That would give you a good stopping point to pull the car up to. Then strap it down tight to the chocks?
Bob, it seems like with that little room i have front and back , if the brakes are off and the car is in Neutral, just the process of the straps stretching will run the car into my wall. I fully understand what you are concerned about. Maybe i could block the front wheels, with stops like you suggested, even wood blocks against the rear wall, and another set of blocks agains the rear tires and ramp door. Do i have to be concerned about side to side movement or just front and back? thanks to all G