View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
blizzardND

my 2 cents (you get what you pay for it):

I'd be very careful using something licensed as a motorhome / "not for hire" for something used for a commercial venture. You may get by all the scales and LEO's as a RV, but if you were to ever get in a serious accident, someones attorney is going to find out that it is actually a company owned and on the road for a commercial purpose (getting your equipment to/from the work site) and thus it should and better be insured as a commercial vehicle $$$.

Once the insurance card says its commercial I would think that the state issuing the plates would see both your commercial ownership XYZ Sound and Games LLC and the commercial insurance certificate, then apply the duck test, I think you will find that you are a duck and a CDL is required.

Even North Dakota where farmers can drive the most clapped out trucks on the road are getting busted daily for hauling for hire or barter, the neighbors grain, cattle or Farm equipment. Then the no CDL for farmers rule gets tossed and the tickets get expensive.

I'm starting to see more and more 1 ton pickups and service trucks around her with not only DOT numbers but annual safety inspection stickers on them. Not sure why but the bigger oil, wind tower and the coal companies must require them. It isn't the same oilfield I grew up in .
-blizz