Thread: Quiet Here
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
Bob86ZZ4

Ya, I love that setup too. Very cool having the matching Smart. And with that pet door you put in you can easily have a passenger take a glance in there while motoring to make sure she's still cinched down tight. I pull a enclosed car trailer quite often. Standard procedure is to tie down the Vette inside, then drive a few/several miles and stop and ratchet everything tight again. Had the Vette get loose on me once and start rolling back and forth. Scratched up the back bumper and pushed my bicycle into the wall making a small hole in the plywood. At least it didn't go far enough to dent out the aluminum siding. It was my son's '87 track car so the scratches aren't that big a deal.

How do you strap down that Smart? Here's how I do our Vettes:

I like strapping it down this way for a couple of reasons. One is you don't have to crawl around under the car hooking into the frame. The other is it allows the car to ride on the suspension. Rather than tightening the frame/chassis down tight onto the springs. The C4 vintage Vettes ('84-96) don't have easy frame hook points either. My son also has a '99 that is easy to hook into the frame on. I use both ways to strap that car down, just extra insurance.

Anyway, love your truck Gene. Gotta get a picture of it at night with those huge flood lights on top. And a day shot showing both awnings out would be cool.