Thread: Old school
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
geofkaye

....SLIDES ARE NOT COMPLICATED UNTIL THEY GO TO ENGINEERING.....THEN THINGS GO NUTS.....To add 2 feet inside- slides need 3 feet of slide and a bunch of problematic nightmare stuff to make then work when needed....sliding out is no biggie but pulling them back in and holding them tightly in place is the problem.....so they get over engineered and to save weight they make them with minimal materials....compounding the problems......on a van they could be lightweight materials like vinal and canvas or even air supported like the military huts used now.....only a fan to hold them up and out...deflate and pack up and leave.....simple and easy to handle.....ground stakes to hold them in high wind or even a water sock around the perimeter....drain-deflate-roll up and off you go.....VW had a pop up vanwagon that was kinda cool and with a few mods could be expanded for more than 1.5 small people....I camped in one and needed medication for my back and neck....needs to be larger for me!.....just a few ideas for you to think about....after all the military does quite well in the deserts-rain forests-and arctic regions in a tent type thing....geofkaye....remember how the kazoo type party favor worked on just a little air!....long and narrow rollout paper tube-which recoiled when there was no air pressure?....huummm
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote