View Single Post
Old 04-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
cjc

I have a Showhauler garage coach conversion on a Freightliner chassis that I purchased new in 2003. Since day two, it has been plagued with one problem or another. These troubles have ranged from a bad water pump, a converter that shorted out almost all the electronic items and water heater to water leaks from several different sources which required the replacement of the wood flooring and some cabinetry. Although all of these problems have been addressed by Showhauler, some have been corrected and others are still trying on my patience, especially after several attempts have been made unsuccessfully. If one is considering the purchase of a one off truck conversion, even one made by a reputable company like Showhauler, they need to consider an important fact. You may end up with warranty problems that necessitates bringing the coach back to the factory. These trips back to the factory will not only cause downtime in the use of your coach, they will be made at your expense, both in time and money. I live more than 1200 miles from the Elkhart area and have been back to the factory at least 3 times, always at my expense in time and practically always at my expense in fuel, lodging, airfare, etc. Although it is clearly stated in the warranty contract that you have to get the coach to the factory at your own expense and will not be compensated for time or travel expenses, it quite frankly, sucks. If you purchase a conventional motorhome like a Monaco, Damon, Gulfstream, etc. chances are that you won't have to bring it more than 100 miles from your home even if you live in the sticks. I've heard of cases such as delaminated walls that required a return to the factory, but those appear to be few and far between. Although Showhauler is a reputable, knowledgeable and honest company and bends over backwards to rectify problems, it gets annoying when the problem isn't resolved and requires another return trip. When I shopped for the coach, I specifically asked the question about how warranty problems would be handled and was told that a local repair facility would take care of them. This is also what I was told at Renegade and United Specialties. However, there are repairs that the truck converter only authorizes to be done at their location and the burden is upon the customer to get the coach to their facility. One needs to be made aware of this situation before purchasing a conversion. I don't think that I've ever seen this situation discussed here in the forum. That being said, I would like to know if anyone has a washer/dryer made by Appliances International in their coach and if so, what has been your experience with it in operation as well as any situations that might have required service. Also, has anyone experienced leaks (rainwater) coming from either the Fantastic vents and/or through the plenum of the Coleman air conditioner? Although it's impossible to truly replicate a Florida tropical rain, I've tried to and found that water can intrude through the air conditioner by a means OTHER THAN the gasket. Where it is getting in is a mystery except for the fact that it doesn't appear to be from the gasket. The only time it happens is when the coach is leveled out and the a/c is on and blowing. Any ideas? A big help would be if the truck conversion company made a crowned roof rather than a flat one.
cjc is offline   Reply With Quote