View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Khadd

Well, you're probably right about cost, but I can't stand the synthetic interiors of the new trailers I see. I'm sorry -- I don't think pseudo-Victorian is the way I'd decorate my interior, and if I have to live in it, I don't want it to drive me nuts on the first day.

My husband and I built our own home 12 years ago, and we have a large building to park a trailer in while we work on it, too. We've also got time to build one -- three years before our son goes to college (what empty nest? what nest? ... "Son, don't come home for Christmas... we won't be here...")

I'm eyeing double-drop trailers every day I go to work, now, at the major truck stop I pass. There's also a trailer manufactorer across the street -- they do mostly flatbeds, but the guy there told me they could easily weld a custom frame for me, and then I could take it home and finish it the way I like. I'm also eyeing those beer trucks with the rolling sides. Anyone convert one of those?

My husband has his CDL, but if we only move the trailer a couple of times a year, I'm wondering if it's worth the investment to buy a truck? Let's say we go from Minnesota to Oklahoma and back once a year -- I mean, how much would that cost to hire someone to haul? That way my husband and I could each drive our own vehicles down, too, so that we have our trailer and two cars. (We may sleep in the same bed, and after 20 years of marriage can still share a bathroom, but we don't share cars.)

Anyone care to comment?
Khadd is offline   Reply With Quote