View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
geofkaye

.....Fuel mileage isn't an issue if you can afford an Truck Conversion......it just isn't an issue unless you travel a long long way to and from work-and this isn't even considering any personal comfort dynamics......last week I got this damn "cold" that is going around the country and making a lot of people very sick- on the way home from work there was the usual traffic accident and resulting clogged x-way and of course it snowed/iced to make things very pleasant for driving.....so I inched over to the brake down lane and turned on the flashers-with the inside temperature at 75 degrees -I took a 3 hour nap-ate dinner- watched the news on TV-made phone called and did some paperwork[taxes].....so the wasted hours became productive and I rested in comfort/safety [with the world's worst cold].....when they finally got the traffic situation sorted out I went home.....how many hours have you spent in traffic messes and had to wait out the situation- not being able to do anything constructive-including eating/sleeping/taxes or even close to a toilet should the need arise?.......The first year I had my Volvo I went to Pennsylvania to look at some military trucks and other military surplus......sure enough it snowed a foot and rather than risk an accident I pulled into a truck stop for 2 days till the roads were passable......total cost of the 2 extra days was 8 gallons of fuel.....I couldn't have done any better-3 day-500 mile round trip with 2 days lodging and hot meals for less than $32.00.....If I had taken my car and gone through the same situation It would be $300 at least[including the girlz].....the Volvo continues to cost me less and make my traveling easier and safer than any other from of transportation......where any overnite stay is possible and much reduced cost if there is any kind of snow emergency or flooding........geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote