View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Lexxi

I'm not worried about the double axles, i only mentioned that because it's why i dont want to use it as a truck The truck weighs less than 18,000lb and the rear axle can legally have 20,000 or so pounds on it, and i really dont think im going to build a 10,000lb house.

I want to do it without lengthening the frame, i dont have the money to spend a couple grand on that (sure would be nice if i did :P)

It is a little beat up, but it's only been mobile home hauling for 5 years, not the full 20.

Oh, and it has a million and a quarter miles. The engine has 400,000 on it, but i'm thinking that using it as an HDT would put a lot less wear on the engine than as a semi, so i dont think im going to be able to wear the engine out. It has air ride switches on the dash, but i didnt actually check to make sure it still is air ride (I would assume it would be, since the switches are there!)

My idea (if i converted it to a motorhome style vehicle) was to use the existing sleeper as the bed (hey, even has a matress already! just need to get the armpit smell out of it!), and i sit on my bed a lot, so :P, and use the existing back section of frame and add some overhang..wouldn't be that long, but im trying to figure out how much overhange would be reasonable. I'd like to get SOMETHING put back there so i could put a trailer hitch on the back of it, but something well engineered yet substantially less material than the rest of the frame on a semi

Another idea i had, which would allow a lot more legal weight because i'd have more axles, was to get a 48' van trailer, put a fifth wheel on the truck ($400, checked with a junkyard....it still has all the switches and knobs and brackets needed) and convert that into a camper. would be a nice size. And then i'd pretty much leave the tractor the way it is. The only thing is, i'm not sure if van trailers would work well, since theyre extremely flimsy. Also, im not sure if it would be possible to license it as a motorhome.

The only reason i was really even considering this is because the guy only wants $2500 for the truck. It has about $500 worth of fuel in it, so its only $2000. And the truck runs great, and im told it drives great (i didnt get to take it on a test drive yet, but i would before buying it). Seems like its been taken care of reasonably.
Using a trailer would open up a huge amount of basement space as well

I'll be reading up this forum too. I don't know if any of this is new ideas yet, because i dont get much time on the internet.
Lexxi is offline   Reply With Quote