View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
dgorila1

Thanks Geof. I thought that composite wall construction might be good, using layers of fiberglass and carbon fiber along with insulation and the appropriate stiffeners, with vacuum bonding if possible to pull it all tight. Thats why I was going to check with boat manufacturers......they are used to building this type of construction for wet environments to prevent water damage.
So you're saying that, in your opinion, the best route would be an aluminum or steel framework with the outer sheathing riveted/glued to it? If I go this route I will most likely use expanding spray foam insulation, which should do several things:
- Provide good R value.
- Seal all seams, holes, etc for a weathertight seal.
- Add additional adhesive strength to the outer skin since it will act as a "bonding" agent to some degree to help hold the skin on.
- Provide good noise/vibration control due to the sealing of all voids, etc.

What is the smooth skin that I see on most trailers? FRP? Is this the stuff you are saying is inferior in the long run?

There are just so many contruction techniques out there, I want to make try to choose the best for durability and maintenance. Thanks.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote