View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
dgorila1

Lexxi,
I've been looking through this board and others (this is the best I've found yet for those that want to custom build) since I want to do much the same as you, modify an HDT and build a custom 5th. I have looked over many options: converting an existing enclosed trailer, building on top of a flatbed, convert a 40' shipping container into a "bulletproof" custom, etc. Everything keeps returning to building the entire trailer as custom as the best way to go. I want something for full time living eventually and a full blown custom is the only reasonable, cost effective solution I see. All of the mass produced trailers are just junk (even the "high dollar" ones). I can do most of the work myself or sub it out so I know I can build something that meets my needs exactly for a fraction of the cost. The only limitation right now is $$$$ and a large place to build it in :-)
I'm wondering if having a commercial trailer builder assemble the frame and VIN/title it as an RV would be the easiest/quickest/safest way to get a rolling chassis that's ready to roll and license as an RV and then build on this. I need to look into it more, but this might save allot of headaches on the legal side.
Good luck, you found the right forum for many of your questions.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote